How It Works


We’ll provide your organization with a universal framework to ensure you are operating as a fair, ethical and humane employer. To become certified, you must pass 11 key metrics about how you treat your employees.

Gather Icon

Gather data & calculate metrics


Start by gathering the data needed calculate the metrics listed below. Most of this should already exist within your organization.

Evaluate Icon

Evaluate metrics


Evaluate your metrics against the minimum required threshold. To be certified, you must exceed this threshold. You will evaluate this data annually.

Submit Icon

Submit metrics


Each year you must submit your annual report and deliver the required certification data to GoodWell. We review and let you know whether you pass. It’s as easy as that.

Metrics that inspire


Our metrics are easy to understand, measure and report. They are easy to attain for any organization that wants to show how much it values employees. To become certified, you must pass all 11 metrics.

1. Employee Satisfaction Metric Employee Satisfaction

Often referred to as the one question you need to ask in order to measure Customer Satisfaction, the Net Promoter Score (NPS) is now being adapted to measure employee sentiment as well. This metric requires a simple one question survey to be sent to all employees: On a scale of 0 to 10, how likely are you to recommend working at ____ to a friend or colleague? The number on the scale that an employee selects is classified into one of the categories: Detractors (0-6), Neutral (7-8), and Promoters (9-10). Then take the number of Promoters minus the number of Detractors to get the number of Neutral. For example, if a entity has 10 employees, and surveyed with 5 Promoters, 3 Neutral, and 2 Detractors, that entity would end up with an NPS of 30, calculated as follows: 50% Promoters (5/10) - 20% Detractors (2/10) = 30%. The eNPS score is always shown as a number, so that entity has an eNPS of 30. In order to be valid the survey must be completed by a simple majority of the employees. GoodWell entities are required to have a positive eNPS. Please refer to the Resources section for some options on collecting eNPS data.

On a scale of 0 to 10, how likely are you to recommend working at ____ to a friend or colleague? Why?

Top

2. Excessive Executive Compensation Metric Executive Compensation

This is the ratio of total CEO compensation relative to the average worker’s pay. GoodWell entities are required to keep this ratio under 100. This means if the average worker makes $35,000 the CEO cannot make more than $3.5 million. All forms of compensation are included in the calculation with the exception of Founders Stock, which is determined to be risk capital related to business creation and can only be issued once during entity formation.

Top

3. Excessive Management Team Compensation Metric Management Compensation

Similar to the above metric, but brings in the entire executive team. This measure is required to be under 75 for GoodWell certification.

Top

4. Gender-Based Pay Equity Metric Gender Pay Equity

This metric shows for the specific job function if men or women are on average paid more. This ratio needs to be between .9 and 1.1 meaning there is a 10% tolerance in either direction. This metric helps to ensure entities are gender neutral when it comes to performing the same work. Length of tenure in the role (not tenure in the entity) will be considered during the evaluation and may provide for an incremental discrepancy of up to 2.5% per year. For example if one Zoo Keeper has been in the role for 10 years and a new Zoo Keeper has just joined the organization the difference in salaries can be (10-0) x 2.5% = 25%. + the 10% difference in the standard metric for a total of 35% difference. Evaluate job function by location as well. For example, an account manager in London and an account manager in Phnom Penh, Cambodia working at the same entity are paid respective to country economic conditions. Factor in the compensation and number of employees working in the same job function per location, for each location; then average all of the locations’ data together for the final ratio.

Top

5. Racial Pay Equity Metric Racial Pay Equity

This metric shows for the specific job function if any racial group is on average paid more. This ratio needs to be between .9 and 1.1 meaning there is a 10% tolerance in either direction. This metric helps to ensure entities are racially neutral when it comes to performing the same work. Length of tenure in the role (not tenure in the entity) will be considered during the evaluation and may provide for an incremental discrepancy of up to 2.5% per year. For example if one Zoo Keeper has been in the role for 10 years and a new Zoo Keeper has just joined the organization the difference in salaries can be (10-0) x 2.5% = 25% + the 10% difference in the standard metric for a total of 35% difference. Evaluate job function by location as well. For example, an account manager in London and an account manager in Phnom Penh, Cambodia working at the same entity are paid respective to country economic conditions. Factor in the compensation and number of employees working in the same job function per location, for each location; then average all of the locations’ data together for the final ratio.

Top

6. Worker Safety Metric Worker Safety

This is a common metric used by safety auditors to determine if the entity is providing a safe working environment. In order for an entity to be GoodWell Certified this number must remain below 10. This means that there will be less than 10 incidents per 200,000 hours worked that result in injury to a worker that keeps them from work all or part of the day following the incident. The entity will be required to demonstrate their policy for recording injuries exists, has been implemented, and is up to date.

Top

7. Employee Attrition Metric Attrition

Attrition rate is one of the most important indicators of a business’s health and treatment of employees. If employees are engaged, fulfilled and satisfied with their ability to grow and prosper, they will most likely remain engaged long term employees. Likewise if the entity does a good job hiring and business planning there is usually little need to terminate employees. As such an attrition rate below 25% should be easily attainable for well run and thoughtful businesses.

Top

8. Paying a Living Wage Metric Living Wage

This metric measures how many employees at the entity work full time and make below the poverty level for 4 people. In the US this would mean someone working full time would need to be paid less than $12.12 per hour. We recognize that entry level jobs are an important part of the hiring and development process, so this number can be more than 0%, but should not be a large number which would indicate low pay is being used beyond entry level workers. In order to become GoodWell certified this number needs to be under 20%.

Top

9. Use of Underage Workers Metric Underage Worker

% of workers under the age of 14 who work more than 15 hours per week. In order to become GoodWell Certified this number must be 0.

Top

10. Use of Part Time Workers Metric Part Time Worker

This metric determines if an entity uses part-time employees in order to avoid paying full wages and benefits. We recognize part-time employees are valuable resources in order to manage fluctuations in demand, however, this should not be a major source of employment. Part-time employees are defined as employees who work year round who are not eligible for benefits because of the number of hours they work per week. In order to attain GoodWell Certification this number must be below 30%.

Top

11. Benefits Participation Metric Benefits Participation

Benefits programs are designed for employees to ensure the business is taking care of its most important assets. As such a well designed benefits program will see very high levels of participation. However, if benefits programs are designed to put most of the cost or operational burden on the employee, the adoption rate will suffer. Benefits programs encompass broad areas as defined by respective businesses. In order to become GoodWell certified this number needs to be above 50%.

Top